[tbnl-devel] TBNL survey / re-org

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Wed Sep 13 12:46:46 UTC 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Robert Synnott wrote:

> On 9/12/06, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:24:00 +0530, quasi <quasilists at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > We are using lisp software to connect to Abacus air reservation
>> > systems and processing of the data and for all the search logic.
>> > The good news is our inhouse software is more than 10x faster than
>> > the Java solution purchased from a large software house here and
>> > 100x more stable.
>>

> I'd just like to echo this, actually; I'm completely amazed at the
> speed of applications, especially non-db-backed applications, written
> in tbnl. It's a great library.

I agree. Edi sometimes likes to say he is more interested in
correctness than speed, which is good, but I find this a bit amusing
at the same time. The predominant feature of CL/TBNL when I was
coming from Java was its shear speed -- I still remember clearly my
complete disbelief and confusion almost. The stability side comes in
later, in my case about a year later, when I realised that a webapp
that I had written was still running happily with a bunch of regular
users. Of course, I was also a bit startled that I had forgotten
about the thing.

Nice work Edi.

Cheers,
Bob