[hunchentoot-devel] Socket timeout issues

Toby tobia.conforto at linux.it
Sat Nov 18 14:02:50 UTC 2006

Edi Weitz wrote:
> > PS: All these tests were done with :read-timeout nil
> > Maybe I should set it to 119 and forget about it
>
> Have you tried (with a short timeout)?  Does it make a difference?

Actually, when the client timeout happens the worker thread is waiting
on a condition variable, not on a socket read, so :read-timeout doesn't
have anything to do with my problem.

Instead, timing out of my condition variable after less than 2 minutes
and telling the client to start a new request does work, although it's
not an ideal solution (as some browsers could have a shorter timeout.)

> One thing you could test is if this happens with AllegroCL

I just made some tests with Hunchentoot on AllegroCL, AllegroServe on
AllegroCL and even PHP5 on Apache!  To my surprise, they all behave like
Hunchentoot on SBCL!  Apparently what I considered the "right behaviour"
was a quirk in the mod_lisp2 setup I was using before.

I guess I need to dust some socket programming textbook!

Toby