[hunchentoot-devel] Re: Confusing Hunchentoot behaviour

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 10:24:10 UTC 2006

After experiencing some more problems, it seems my earlier explanation
doesn't quite explain everything (though it is still valid). Some requests
keep returning a completely empty page, and it turns out they do not even
cause process-request to be called (or the loop in process-connection to go
through a new iteration) -- so it might be an apache or mod_lisp problem
with chunked or keep-alive connections. For your reading pleasure, I
included the headers that apache sent me for a normal working request, and
for a failed one...

Here's the working one (just returning a 3-character test page that said
'foo'):

Date
Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:42:38 GMT
Server
Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)  (Gentoo) mod_lisp/2.42
Content-Length
3
Keep-Alive
timeout=15, max=99
Connection
Keep-Alive, Keep-Alive
Content-Type
text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

And here is the strange one (obtained by refreshing the very same url, note
the lack of content-lenght -- both returned 200 OK):

Date
Sun, 05 Nov 2006 09:42:35 GMT
Server
Apache/1.3.34 (Unix)  (Gentoo) mod_lisp/2.42
Keep-Alive
timeout=15, max=100
Connection
Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding
chunked
Content-Type
text/plain

The problem only seems to occur when refreshing after waiting for a bit.
When refreshing multiple times in a row, I always get the test page, but if
I wait a few minutes and then refresh, the first try usually gives the empty
page. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Regards,
Marijn Haverbeke