[tbnl-devel] large file uploads

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed May 3 15:32:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:29:05 -0400, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:

> I would like to prevent files over a certain size from being
> uploaded. I don't want to check after the fact; I'd like to abort
> request processing as soon as the content-length is known to be too
> large.
>
> Is it ok to close the content-stream and error out of
> initialize-instance on the request? Is there a better way?

I would assume that it is "OK" in the sense that it doesn't wreak
havoc.  You'll be caught by the IGNORE-ERRORS in LISTEN-FOR-REQUEST
which in turn will close the stream.  If you're behind Apache, it will
then as a result of this sooner or later close the stream to the
client which is still trying to send stuff.  Of course, there's no way
to re-use these streams and/or to send a message to the client.

It's not pretty, though, but OTOH I think there /is/ no pretty way of
doing this.  Do you want to do this as some kind of anti-DoS measure?

Cheers,
Edi.