[hunchentoot-devel] Starting a server hangs

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Dec 18 22:57:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:24:09 -0700, "Robert J. Macomber" <tbnl at rojoma.com> wrote:

> So I guess the answer is "don't do that then", at least for now.
> Putting your startup call in a :after method on asdf:perform doesn't
> seem to work either, but deferring the startup into a thread of its
> own (i.e., instead of a toplevel (startup) do (make-thread
> 'startup)) lets the locks all get released.

Ah, OK.  Thanks for the detective work.  By coincidence I came across
a similar case last Friday.  Another, SBCL-specific, workaround is to
add a file precompile.lisp to your ASDF system definition that is
guaranteed to be the very last file to be compiled and loaded (and
that is also guaranteed to be re-compiled whenever something changes
in the rest of the system).  This file should contain only one form:

  (sb-pcl::precompile-random-code-segments)

I don't think this is documented or officially endorsed by the SBCL
developers, but it should pre-compile optimized constructors and other
CLOS functions.