[hunchentoot-devel] CMUCL vs SBCL: server speed

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at cunningham.net
Sun Dec 3 21:53:58 UTC 2006

I thought I'd share some observations concerning a big difference in
server speed I've observered between CMUCL (19d) and SBCL (0.9.18).

I've been working on a small website consisting of six or eight pages,
each with mixed text and graphics (images from a few k up to 80k)
using Hunchentoot as the server. Running it with CMUCL I noticed that
the page load times were rather slow (2-5 seconds to all the images)

I tried serving all the images out of ram (as in Edi's example), but
it really made little differnce. It didn't matter whether I was
browsing it via localhost or over the internet - the server was too
slow for anything but a testbench.

After the problems I had trying to get SSL to work with CMUCL, I
decided to get the test site running with SBCL. (I hadn't worked with
SBCL before, so it took some reworking).

It was well worth the trouble: the page loading speed is now so fast I
can't really measure it - fractions of a second.

Question: does anyone know a way to profile handlers? I tried the
usual method using TIME, but its alot of trouble trying to capture its
output, and anyway it returns all 0 times and a few thousand cons',
which is clearly not right.

Regards,
--Jeff