[Snow-devel] Snow appreciation & questions

Matus Kmit simply.nitaai at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:29:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Alessio Stalla
<alessiostalla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Matus Kmit <simply.nitaai at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Allessio
>>
>> Thanks for Your answer. i requirements for the available components
>> are quite modest as per now, as the application is also quite simple
>> (although it might get more sophisticated in the future).
>>
>> to start, i will surely need to following: frame, panels, buttons and
>> dropdowns with all their most important attributes.
>>
>> in the future i might add menu bar and some of the look-and-feel components...
>>
>> if suppose the above mentioned components are already integrated?
>
> Dropdowns aren't, as far as I remember. The rest are supported (as
> well as text fields, tab panes, lists and maybe text areas) but with
> essential attributes only. In the next few days I'll work on
> strengthening support for existing widgets and adding dropdowns. As
> soon as I have something ready I'll tell you. Expect to work with
> stuff from SVN until I add/fix enough stuff to make a proper release.
>
>> Good to know that You are willing to add components, which i will need
>> :-) That's kind.
>
> That's not kind, that's marketing :D Just kidding, it's nice to have
> someone using your stuff. If it reassures you about my commitment to
> the project, I'm planning to use it (time permitting) to redo the GUI
> of an old project of mine (a didactic Prolog interpreter) which is
> relatively complex with tabs, split panes, lists and a custom tree.
> All in my free time, so don't expect rapid development :(
>
> Cheers,
> Alessio
>
> PS I haven't yet investigated the http svn browser issue, I'll let you
> know when I have more info.

Hi Alessio,

Nice to here that You are using and extending Snow for Your own
project. i am looking forward for the future releases of Snow,
whenever they come :-)

i started looking more into MiGLayout and some examples i found in the
Snow project, i think i am slowly starting to understand the syntax
and how the stuff works.

i also took a look into the source code of Snow as i wanted to know
what widgets are supported, so i could see a bit how it is
implemented. It is quite generic. As far as i could see, extending
Snow with new widgets follows the same pattern. Looking into the code
details myself takes much time and effort however in order to fully
understand how it works (i am quite new to lisp and java).

The reason why i am writing this is that if i would get some
explanation about how the extending of widget library works, i could
do it myself and perhaps contribute if it conforms to Your definition
standards and integrates well in the framework...

Of course for that i would need more experience and know how of Snow.
But it's just an idea...

Greetings,
Matus