What are port requirements for remote lisp?

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:33:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 7:55 AM Martin Simmons <martin at lispworks.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Spacemacs.
> > > In theory you might have similar localhost firewall issues on hal9000,
> but
> > > that is less likely.

> > > I'm assuming that you ran the ssh command on the Windows 10 machine
> and it
> > > gave you a working login to hal9000.  If so, then it looks like you
> already
> > > have what you need for port 22.
> > >

> > Yes, I can log in to hal9000 with the -L switch:
> >
> > > ssh -L4005:localhost:4005 mirko at hal9000
> > Last login: Thu Mar 19 14:33:17 2020 from 172.27.236.189
> > [mirko at hal9000 ~]$
> >

> > > Note that bi-directional traffic on a connected socket is different
> from
> > > whether you can make a connection in both directions.

> > > problem?
> > > effects
> > >
> > > Firstly, run "netstat -antp" on hal9000 to see if Lisp is listening on
> port
> > > 4005.
> > >

> > It looks that ccl-bin is listening:
> > $ sudo netstat -antp | grep :4005
> > tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4005          0.0.0.0:*
>  LISTEN
> >      104461/lx86cl64
> >

> > > Secondly, run "netstat -anop tcp" on the Windows 10 machine to see if
> ssh
> > > is
> > > listening on port 4005.
> > >

> > I have Msys2's netstat. On the laptop:
> > > which netstat
> > /c/WINDOWS/system32/netstat
> > /c/Users/mirko/Downloads
> > > netstat -anop tcp | grep :4005
> >   TCP    127.0.0.1:4005         0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
>  12052
>
> Yes, both netstat outputs look good at that point.
>

> > > Thirdly, run "ssh -p 4005 localhost" on the Windows 10 machine.  This
> use a
> > > ssh is very bogus, but it should at least give an error message with
> some
> > > diagnostics.  (Normally I would use telnet for this, but it is not
> > > installed
> > > on Windows 10 by default.)
> > >

> > Outputs of both ssh and telnet on the laptop:
> > > which telnet
> > /usr/bin/telnet
> > /c/Users/mirko/Downloads
> > > telnet localhost 4005
> > Trying ::1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> OK, so it is connected to the Windows side at least.
>
> Check that the Slynk server was created with :dont-close t (or set
> slynk:*dont-close* to t before creating it).  If dont-close is nil, it will
> only accept one connection, which makes debugging difficult.
>
> Then restart the log in to hal9000 with -v option to ssh to make it print
> debug
> information:
>
> ssh -v -L4005:localhost:4005 mirko at hal9000
>
> and try the telnet again to see what is happening at the Linux end.

Here is the test log. Telnet and ssh debug are at the bottom.
1 Start slynk with :dont-close t

Modified startup script:

(let ((port 4005))
    (slynk:create-server :port port :dont-close t)
    (format t "~% Created SLYNK server on port ~a" port))
(setf slynk:*use-dedicated-output-stream* nil)

2 Started tunnel with verbose option, -v switch

$ ssh -v -L4005:hal9000:4005 mirko at hal9000

3 Telnet on laptop side to laptop port 4005

@laptop> telnet localhost 4005
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

4 SSH debug output

@hal9000> debug1: Connection to port 4005 forwarding to hal9000 port
4005 requested.
debug1: channel 3: new [direct-tcpip]
channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
debug1: channel 3: free: direct-tcpip: listening port 4005 for hal9000
port 4005, connect from ::1 port 64100 to ::1 port 4005, nchannels 4

 Thanks,

Mirko