slime + clisp + emacs: server disconnects

Stuart Little achirvasub at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 15:06:52 UTC 2019

Thank you!

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 01:41:39PM +0000, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> Stuart uses:
> >GNU CLISP 2.49 (2010-07-07) (built on build.voidlinux.eu [148.251.136.24])
> I would recommend that you use clisp from 2017-2019, even though there has been no official release yet (it's still in the release candidate phase). There have been quite some robustness and portability enhancements in recent years.
>
> >However, I do seem to have libsigsegv. Here's the full output of 'clisp --version':
> >cc -mtune=generic -O2 -O [...] -DNO_SINGLEMAP -DNO_TRIVIALMAP -lsigsegv
> SAFETY=0 TYPECODES WIDE_HARD SPVW_PAGES SPVW_MIXED libsigsegv 2.10 libffcall 1.11
>
> Without one of either SINGLEMAP_MEMORY or TRIVIALMAP_MEMORY you get no generational GC.
> Libsigsegv may still be used for stack overflow detection, I'm not sure.
>
> It appears to me that your build of clisp in voidlinux was done using overly pessimistic / conservative settings. With GC, you might be able to increase clisp's performance by 50%. You should recompile.

Done!

The latest version I could find, cloned from mercurial[0] just minutes ago, does not crash. Well it did once, but not with a segfault, when I encountered an error. I'll keep monitoring it, but it's much better than before.

The output from <newly-compiled executable> --version is

--- cut ---

GNU CLISP 2.49.93+ (2018-02-18) (built 3772968340) (memory 3772968415)
Software: GNU C 9.1.0
gcc -g -O2 -no-integrated-cpp -W -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wmissing-declarations -Wimplicit -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-format-nonliteral -Wno-shift-negative-value -O -fwrapv -fno-strict-aliasing -DNO_ASM -DENABLE_UNICODE -DDYNAMIC_FFI -DDYNAMIC_MODULES  libgnu.a  -lreadline -lncurses -ldl -lffcall  -lsigsegv
SAFETY=0 HEAPCODES ONE_FREE_BIT_HEAPCODES WIDE_HARD GENERATIONAL_GC SPVW_BLOCKS SPVW_MIXED TRIVIALMAP_MEMORY
libsigsegv 2.12
libreadline 8.0
libffcall 2.1
Features: (READLINE REGEXP WILDCARD SYSCALLS I18N LOOP COMPILER CLOS MOP CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS SCREEN FFI GETTEXT UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER WORD-SIZE=64 PC386 UNIX)
C Modules: (clisp i18n syscalls regexp readline)

I didn't pass any special flags or anything, simply installed the dependencies they recommend in step 2 of [1] and proceeded as instructed there.

---