slime + clisp + emacs: server disconnects

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Jul 23 16:49:50 UTC 2019

> On 23 Jul 2019, at 15:29, Stuart Little <achirvasub at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am running
>
> - emacs 26.2
> - slime 2.24
> - clisp 2.49
>
> on Linux.

Works for me with
- emacs 26.1
- slime 2.23
- clisp 2.49.93+

on Darwin and on Linux.

> Running M-x slime in emacs with 'inferior-lisp-program' set to 'clisp' starts slime fine. I can usually run one evaluation (like say (+ 2 3)), whereupon any other action (pressing 'enter', say) will result in a disconnect:
>
> Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: connection broken by remote peer

Add a ~/.swank.lisp file with a line such as:

#+clisp (defparameter swank:*use-dedicated-output-stream*  nil)

> (a) rlwrap clisp

rlwrap shouldn’t be needed with clisp, since it can be compiled with readline. This is the reason why clisp is GPL!

> (b) (load "~/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.24/swank-loader.lisp")
> (c) (swank-loader::init :reload t)
> (d) (swank:create-server :port 7000)
> (e) from within emacs: M-x slime-connect with localhost and port 7000
>
> Same behavior as before: I get connected, get to make a few evaluations, get disconnected.
>
> This time around rlwrap tells me (in the terminal where I started clisp):
>
> rlwrap: warning: clisp crashed, killed by SIGSEGV

This should not occur.

Since you don’t seem to have readline compiled in, perhaps you don’t have libsigsegv compiled in either?
I would advise you to recompile clisp with those essential libraries!

Have a look at the script I currently use to compile and install clisp from sources:
https://github.com/informatimago/install/blob/master/install-pjb-environment#L399
Don’t use this script indiscriminately, it installs a lot of things!!! Instead, copy and paste what you need.

--
__Pascal J. Bourguignon__