Slime and ASDF

Attila Lendvai attila at lendvai.name
Thu Mar 1 10:54:05 UTC 2018

[moving this to slime-devel]

> I recently banged my head against something similar. Turns out, mcclim loads
> swank, so be sure to delete .slime/fasl too.

been there... that's why my slime locally uses
asdf:apply-output-translations for a few years now.

slime used to be proudly ASDF free, but maybe that's something to
reconsider, at least with an optional support.

this is what i'm running with (which i don't recommend for inclusion
in this form):

(defun binary-pathname (src-pathname binary-dir)
  "Return the pathname where SRC-PATHNAME's binary should be compiled."
+  (declare (ignore binary-dir))
+  #+asdf
+  (asdf:apply-output-translations src-pathname)
+  #-asdf
  (let ((cfp (compile-file-pathname src-pathname)))
    (merge-pathnames (make-pathname :name (pathname-name cfp)
                                    :type (pathname-type cfp)))))

but if the maintainers are open for this direction, then i may look
into packaging up and testing a PR for integrating ASDF properly, and
optionally.

and not forgetting this either: https://github.com/slime/slime/pull/282/

currently swank can break in funny ways when used together with ASDF.
e.g. :depends-on (:swank) can be a source of great bafflement when it
reloads swank and undo's half of the contrib's, leaving some stuff
crippled. and the .slime/fasl dir can also bite you when you thought
you have deleted the fasl's, except one outlier.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39