assign lisp source buffers to a specific connection

Orm Finnendahl orm.finnendahl at selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de
Tue Apr 3 10:25:19 UTC 2018

Hi List,

 the slime doc specifies that "slime-mode source buffers always use
the “default” connection". Since I'm frequently working with multiple
common lisp instances it would be handy to be able to assign lisp
source buffers to specific connections rather than manually switching
the default connection before evaluation.

To circumvent this my current workflow uses different emacs instances,
but I'd prefer using a single emacs instance with multiple lisp
connections.

My idea is to implement an interactive command like
"slime-assign-connection" when in a source buffer, (or an optional
additional global flag specifying to prompt for assigning the source
buffer to a lisp connection on eval in case it hasn't yet been
assigned). In this case it also would be handy to be able to name each
connection individually.

I could imagine it'd be not too hard to implement this behaviour and
maybe someone can give me a hint to get me started implementing it or
warn me about possible pitfalls.

--
Orm