What port range do I need to open for Swank

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Thu Aug 18 11:59:09 UTC 2016

I think it depends on how you start it.

If you start it from Emacs with M-x slime, then it uses a random port (the 0
in SWANK:START-SERVER) and tells Emacs about it via a file.

Alternatively, if you start it from within Lisp using SWANK:CREATE-SERVER then
it uses port 4005 by default and you can connect to it from Emacs using M-x
slime-connect.

In both cases, it only listens on localhost (see SWANK::*LOOPBACK-INTERFACE*)
by default.  Your firewalling policy must be very strict if it blocks that.

__Martin