Save & load file

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Jul 22 14:50:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

Helmut Eller wrote:

>There's a convention that state taht C-c <letter>, where <letter> has no control or shift key,
>should be reserved for users.

It may not be important in your eyes, but you can bet it's important to users who make use of
that *documented* feature.  They'd be p.o.'ed if a random library would overwrite their settings,
in violation of Emacs standards.

I define C-c <letter>, in my .emacs, e.g.

(global-set-key "\C-cw" 'compare-windows)

The elisp manual says: [emphasis is *not* mine] "[...] are reserved for users;
they are the *only* sequences reserved for users, so do not block them".

>Not terribly important some poeple might never have heard it.
One probably has to read a lot of Emacs style guides to come across it.

BTW, you're wrong about shift. It's reserved for users as well.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle