Save & load file

Stas Boukarev stassats at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:07:15 UTC 2015

Blake McBride <blake at mcbride.name> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>
>> > I don't like to be forced to re-compile it in order to load it for the
>> > following reasons:
>>
>> ASDF solves most of these problems, including fasl file placement,
>> especially if you are willing to write a line or two to load your
>> codebase with some debugging extras (a (DECLAIM (OPTIMIZE DEBUG)), and
>> i also have some macros that react to variables, notably dribble level
>> logging stops being a no-op).
>>
>> among the things you listed the only thing that i don't know how to
>> solve in my ASDF/slime setup is losing track of what i've edited and
>> haven't given to the lisp for redefinition yet. what i do is i keep
>> track of it in my head, and whenever i suspect that things may be out
>> of sync, then i press 3 key combination to restart the lisp and
>> recompile/reload the project.
>>
>> hth,
>>

> So, it sounds like we can setup ASDF, learn a bunch of steps, add debugging
> code to our app, and just reset the whole world if we think we might have
> gotten confused,
>
> or,
>
> we can just use slime-save-and-load.
>
> Is that a fair statement?
compile-file has different semantics from load, so what you load may not
compile. Then why bother loading at all? C-M-x or C-c C-c is
what you should use 98% of the time instead.
If you want C-c C-k to put compiled files away
use
(setq slime-compile-file-options '(:fasl-directory "/tmp/junk-fasls"))

But however much I hate ASDF, if you have more than one file (or that
one file should be two files), you have really no other choice than to
use ASDF.

And many implementations do have interpreters, not just compilers, in
2015.

--
With best regards, Stas.