Save & load file

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Wed Jul 15 10:59:28 UTC 2015

Most often I edit several functions within a particular lisp file in order
to add a feature or fix a bug.  I would then like to save and load the
whole file in order to test it.

I don't like to pass each function to lisp when I am done editing it
 (^X^E) because I often bounce back and forth between several functions
while programming.  When I am ready to test, it is too burdensome for me to
remember which functions I passed to lisp, which I have not, and which were
passed to lisp _after_ my last edit of it.  Re-loading the whole file when
I am done is perfect.

I don't like to be forced to re-compile it in order to load it for the
following reasons:

1.  Some lisp's take longer to compile/load than to just load

2.  Compiling often creates a bunch of junk files that I don't want to see
when developing

3.  (I imagine) some lisp's can provide better debugging information on
interpreted code rather than compiled code

4.  When developing, the run-time speed of the particular module I am
working on almost never matters.  If other parts need to be fast, I can
compile those.  (Of course I would compile the whole thing for production
use.)

I appreciate this dialog because my development process makes a lot of
sense to me.  But I recognize that, out of ignorance, I may not be doing
the best thing.  If I am right, clearly slime needs a key bound to a
slime-save-and-load function as described below.  If I am wrong, I just
need to understand it, and learn to use the correct procedure.

Thanks.

Blake McBride