help writing a contrib

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:41:25 UTC 2015

Hi Jim,

I would say that using `slime-eval' with a string won't work: you're asking
CL to evaluate a string, which it complies with happily, but won't actually
call the function. That's why it returns immediately (shound't return
t, though).

The solution is to stick with passing an actual symbolic expression, and,
to fix your symbol problem, pass the result of `slime-symbol-at-point' as a
quoted string ("%S" I believe). Then, in the CL side, pass it to the function

   SWANK:FIND-DEFINITIONS-FIND-SYMBOL-OR-PACKAGE

which should "do the right thing" and return the symbol interned in the
correct package be it the qualifier package, or the one implicit in
`in-package`.

Regarding problem 4, you need a system that lets you create contribs
that are fully independent of SLIME which SLIME doesn't provide
afaik, but my fork of it, SLY, does. See http://github.com/capitaomorte/sly
if you're interested.

I'm interested in this contrib, can you share the code you have for the
CL side as well?

João