[Slime-devel] SLY, a fork of SLY

Helmut Eller eller.helmut at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 10:12:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 07 2014, João Távora wrote:

[...]
>> Doesn't sound so hard and it would not need any conflicting package
>> nicknames.
>
> Well, I would still need to rename the rex requests themselves as in
>
>    (sly-eval `(swank:list-all-package-names t)))
>
> So as to comply with your "part of symbols names" demand and,

With "part of symbols names" I mean those symbols in ELisp that use
"slime" or "sldb" as prefix when one would use packages in Common Lisp
to make them unique.  Apparently you have already renamed most (all?) of
those.

> importantly, to keep `sly-edit-definition' capabilities.
>
> This last bit is, incidently, one of the drawbacks of your previous
> solution compared to nicknaming packages, since for anyone looking at
> the wire (e.g. *events* buffer) strings would SIMPLE-READ to completely
> disparate symbols. Now, imagine there is indeed a SWANK server running
> int the Lisp image and the confusion this could cause. Would this be
> easier to debug than an early abortive "Can't create package because
> there is a conflict" error?

People who are debugging some wire format issues probably wouldn't load
Swank and slynk (or whatever name you choose) at the same time.  At
least I wouldn't load any unnecessary components when debugging.

> After having done that, I would need the reverse indirection in
> `sly-net-send`, and would have to walk the sexp there, since some
> extensions "abuse" it and send nested sexps.

That problem is the same for SWANKR or similar servers.  The right place
to fix such issues is the extension.

Helmut