[Slime-devel] SLY, a fork of SLY

joaotavora at gmail.com joaotavora at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:13:51 UTC 2014

Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> writes:
> joaotavora at gmail.com (João Távora) writes:
>
>> Helmut Eller <eller.helmut at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Yes, I do: please use something different than Slime and Swank as part
>>> of symbol names, package names, or file names.
>>
>> Sorry, no, unless you provide an argument.
>
> I'd like to be able to load both of them at the same time without
> conflicts.

OK, that is an argument.

I see SLIME as an application/tool, not as a library, so it doens't make
any sense to me. But perhaps a SWANK server running standalone in an
application can be viewed as a library. Then again, it's tricky, why
would developers need to place two similar separate debugging tools in
their applications?

Do you really see this as an impediment to trying out SLY? SLY is alpha
right now (as noted before) and I mostly need feedback. When I get some
feedback I will consider the ability to load both SLY and SWANK servers
in the same Lisp. I probably won't release sly until the time Emacs 24.4
officially comes out (it's in pretest right now)

João