[Slime-devel] Integrating slime with a new lisp implementation

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Wed Oct 8 12:15:21 UTC 2014

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 06 2014, Charlie Andrews wrote:
>
>> I am working on the recently released lisp implementation clasp
>> (https://github.com/drmeister/clasp), and I would like to get it
>> working in slime. I am wondering if there is a general purpose
>> document for adding support for slime to a new implementation out
>> there some where? If not, where is a good place to begin?
>
> Basically you need to implement the functions that are described in
> swank/backend.lisp.  Not all are needed.  To begin, create a file like
> swank/clasp.lisp and add it to swank-loader.lisp.  Start it with "make
> run-swank" or something similar in an a shell outside of Emacs.  Then
> use M-x slime-connect from Emacs.  You will then run into undefined
> functions that you need to implement.

Just to add to this: the moment that you can use it to develop itself is
a rather nice moment -- so getting the bare minimum up and running  as
quickly as possible is a nice way to go.  If I remember rightly, getting
slime-eval-region working made a big difference when I was developing
a backend for R, and so did getting sldb (not least because R's native
debugger is horrible...).

Best wishes,

Christophe