[Slime-devel] Problem with SLIME 2.10 for ABCL

Mark Evenson evenson.not.org at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:02:42 UTC 2014

[Just subscribed to slime-devel@, so I might have missed something on the official list]

The current SLIME master no longer works with ABCL, complaining that

    #<SWANK/GRAY::SLIME-INPUT-STREAM {53FB0686}> is not of type STREAM.

The cause is the [removal of the ABCL specific DEFIMPLEMENTATION forms for
MAKE-INPUT-STREAM and MAKE-OUTPUT-STREAM][1].  Using our Gray streams for SLIME
communication in ABCL will not work easily in the foreseeable future, or at
least until [ticket-373][] is resolved (which I assume Helmut filed when he realized
that ABCL was failing).  There is historical funkiness with ABCL’s Stream
implementation being in Java which the current maintainers have smoothed over
as much as possible, but still has some broken aspects.

I would recommend reverting the ABCL specific DEFIMPLEMENTATION for release, or
else SLIME 2.10 will be broken with ABCL.

[1]: https://github.com/slime/slime/commit/17d3b585989c1e22dc6c25374f4e7e51336fdda1
[ticket-373]: http://abcl.org/trac/ticket/373

--
"No, this is not a disentanglement, but a progressive /knotting-into/."