Moving to GitHub and cl-lib

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 23:15:42 UTC 2014

    Helmut> On Wed, Jan 08 2014, Raymond Toy wrote:
    Helmut> It's not the first time that we discuss this.  You knew
    Helmut> that this day
    Helmut> would come eventually.
    >>
    >> I know. :-) But it it ain't broke, don't fix it and xemacs works for
    >> what I use it for.

    Helmut> Yes, entirely reasonable decision.  OTOH, if M-. doesn't work and #+
    Helmut> infloops then your setup is almost broken.

It's not really broken.  M-. now works, but even before, I didn't use
M-. that often.  And I don't add #+ very often, and when it does, it
doesn't always infloop.  Never figured out what the made some
different from others.

(Which reminds me: I need to figure out a way to have M-. get the
right sources when running a snapshot and when running inside my
current git tree.  This is not a slime issue, I think, but a how I have
my cmucl source paths set up.)

    >> Plus decades of cruft in my init files (which are slowly
    >> shrinking every time I move to a new box) and xemacsisms and
    >> decades of motor memory make it hard.

    Helmut> Is there anything that we can do ease a transition?  You could send us
    Helmut> your .xemacs and we would port it to GNU Emacs :-)

Thanks for the generous offer!  But it would probably be good for me
to do that myself; I'm sure there are numerous (annoying) differences,
so it would be best for me find and learn these differences.  Besides,
I think most of my .xemacs directory is no longer really relevant to
even me. :-)

Ray