ChangeLog file

Helmut Eller eller.helmut at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:44:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11 2014, João Távora wrote:

[...]
> I refer you to the discussion in emacs-devel, they're getting rid of the
> ChangeLog file, but not its format.
>
> Still, Helmut, I propose that we get rid of the ChangeLog files and use
> commit messages exclusively.

AFAIK, the Emacs maintainers haven't dropped ChangeLog files yet or even
made a decision.  They discussed it in the context of the switch to git,
which is also not yet completed.

I'd rather take a wait-and-see approach here.  Let's see what the Emacs
maintainers do, let them upgrade the infrastructure and fix most of the
bugs; if it looks good then we do something similar.

It seems to me, that people who are too lazy to write decent ChangeLog
entries are also unwilling to write decent commit messages.  So I think
that problem will not be solved.

Helmut