GitHub workflow for the SLIME repo

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 11:07:14 UTC 2014

Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:
> The first option is clearly the easiest since all you have to do is
> click GitHub's merge button, but I personally find that the merge
> commits pollute the history (particularly if only one or two commits
> are being merged). I know João disagrees with me on this matter.

I don't think of merge commit objects as pollution. At least in the
particular "Merge-button" workflow, in other cases it is indeed
problematic, but these are not relevant here.

The "merge" button also has these advantages:

* it is very familiar in the github ecosystem, and github passers-by
  will find it familiar (as they already have apparently).

* It makes for a very pretty and readable "network" graph

   https://github.com/slime/slime/network

* It makes the history on https://github.com/slime/slime/commits/master
  accurately reflect the pull requests merged, and link to their
  respective discussion threads.

I've confirmed that I when tried out Luís's rebase technique for
https://github.com/slime/slime/pull/73, we didn't get the last two
advantages. Plus, as Luís says, it is more complicated for git newbies,
and requires a separate step to close the pull request.

So yes, I'm partial to the first, but won't kill myself over it,
particularly for small changes as you say. For big changes I might cut a
wrist or two :-)

João