[slime] swank-loader could use ASDF (#65)

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Wed Jan 8 21:00:46 UTC 2014

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 08 2014, João Távora wrote:
>
>> But I'm also not necessarily opposed to recommending, bundling, or
>> installing quicklisp. The latter too seem a little out of SLIME's
>> jurisdiction though.
>
> The problem "How do we get from a vanilla Lisp to one where we can do
> (require :asdf)" was solved by forcing every implementation to bundle
> ASDF.  IMO, quicklisp is facing a similar problem.  Should quicklisp use
> a similar "bundle it with the implementation" strategy?  I think not,
> because a) it needs a lot of communication b) the bundled version gets
> outdated quickly.

For what it's worth, I would prefer implementations do not include
Quicklisp. I don't like the idea of implementations making divergent
code for Quicklisp, and I don't like the idea of the instructions for
how to get Quicklisp diverging based on which Lisp you
use. (asdf-install was bad in this regard.)

The instructions for Quicklisp are kept intentionally simple as a
result:

  - download http://beta.quicklisp.org/quicklisp.lisp

  - (load "quicklisp.lisp")

Zach