ChangeLog file

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 19:22:05 UTC 2014

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 11 2014, João Távora wrote:
> [...]  AFAIK, the Emacs maintainers haven't dropped ChangeLog files
> yet or even made a decision.  They discussed it in the context of the
> switch to git, which is also not yet completed.

Well, regarding ChangeLogs I took a stance similar Stefan Monnier's
which is the dev leader.

> entries are also unwilling to write decent commit messages.  So I think
> that problem will not be solved.

Agreed, I didn't say it would. I've just noticed that I have had to ask
a couple of contributors already to additionally provide changes to a
ChangeLog file, which could be cut down to one step only, and reduce
friction.  To pull in useful fixes from Attila I "had" (I decided,
actually) to do the ChangeLog thing myself.

(BTW I've recently added a ChangeLog to yasnippet myself, to explore
"C-x 4 a" but am now getting rid of it and using the same function only
without ChangeLog).

Currently SLIME doesn't seem to have as many active and experienced
contributors as Emacs. The github "masses" are used to commit messages,
which can be checked and iterated much easier than Changes to a
registered file in the repository.

João