[Slime-devel] Adding to Swank Load-Path

Helmut Eller eller.helmut at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 06:38:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 01 2014, Samuel Freilich wrote:

[...]
> I've seen two work-arounds, neither of them ideal:
> 1. Put something in ~/.swank.lisp to modify swank::*load-path*.  (That works,
> but requires more setup and I have to change it if I'm loading from a
> different directory.)
> 2. Leave out that dependency from :swank-dependencies and add a hook to
> 'slime-connected-hook (called after slime-load-contribs) that calls
> slime-load-file.  (That works, but is quite messy.)
>
> Is there a supported way for adding directories to the Swank load-path from
> SLIME?

No; nothing that I know of.  1. doesn't sound so bad to me.

> Should define-slime-contrib have a :swank-paths parameter or
> something?

Something like

 (define-slime-contrib foo
    (:swank-dependencies (bar "/path1/bar.lisp")))

that passes 'bar and "/path1/bar.lisp" to swank:swank-require would be
easy to implement.

Not sure if it's worth it, though.  Especially as some people want to
get rid of swank:swank-require and replace everything with ASDF.

Helmut