[Slime-devel] slime 2.4 with emacs 24.3.50: Loading problems after M-x slime

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 17:14:21 UTC 2014

Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> writes:

> For reference, slime-helper.el is part of quicklisp-slime-helper. It

I figure it would probably be something, but still wanted to rule out
any external interference.

> It looks like this:
>
>   https://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-slime-helper/blob/master/slime-helper-template.el

Thanks, this is not the offical recipe, but is a de facto standard.

By the way in pull request

   https://github.com/slime/slime/pull/83

there is a proposal for making ASDF the default swank-loading backend in
SLIME, with slime-loader.lisp still being the fallback and fully
supported (but doesn't need to load contribs upfront).

I consider it mostly finished and would appreciate it if any of the
users/developers on this mailing list could spare a review. I'm not
going to merge it without some feedback, since it's too big of a change.

I mention this in this thread, Zach, because it might make sense to use
it to quicklisp's advantage, which already uses ASDF. Taking advantage
of the new feature might simplify slime-helper.el.

If the goal of providing SLIME and its contribs as ELPA packages is
additionally achieved, then maybe the need for slime-quicklisp-helper
could be reevaluated.

What exactly is the use case that (ql:quickload :slime-quicklisp-helper)
is good at solving? And how would it be easier/better/different than

  M-x install-package RET slime-fancy RET

(if that were possible)?

João