slime-repl buffer

Daimrod daimrod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 15:50:37 UTC 2013

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr> writes:

> Thanks for the comint trick, but I was pretty sure that slime-repl did not rely on comint as Stas confirmed.
>
> I was also thinking about `slime-repl-clear-buffer'. Advising it is a good idea.
>
> My problem is that I ran some program on huge data and it logged about 10^6 lines before finishing.
>
> I'll try to devise something before doing that again. I want to see that things run as expected. But I don't want
> to keep the whole history.

When this happens, I usually redirect the whole output to a file and
then view it in emacs with `auto-revert-mode'.

Btw, Emacs can manage large buffer; in my experience, the culprit is
often the fontification process (especially if you use
slime-presentations), because Emacs redoes the fontification each time
the buffer is updated, you can test this by disabling fontification (M-x
font-lock-mode RET) and see if you see some improvement.

For example, when I use M-x compile, I disable the fontification until
the compilation is done to avoid freezing my emacs.

--
Daimrod/Greg