custom reader and custom rpcs

Alexander Popolitov popolit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 08:48:36 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 11:32 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20 2013, Alexander Popolitov wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> So, here is my proposed enhancement to swank (see patch-file in the
>> attachment).
>> The idea is, that executing arbitrary code on the lisp core, which
>> swank allows by default, is not always
>> desirable.
>> Hence, patch does following things:
>> 1) Add SWANK::*READER* variable, which, when bound to a function when
>> calling SETUP-SERVER, causes
>>      this function to be used when reading forms in SWANK-RPC::READ-FORM
>> 2) SWANK::DISPATCH-EVENT's DESTRUCTURING-CASE is substituted by more
>> flexible lookup in the hashtable.
>>      If SWANK::*VALID-RPC* list is bound to new value when calling
>> SETUP-SERVER, then in this particular
>>      server only those new RPC's will be active.
>>
>> 1st change is useful, I think, not only for securing the reader in a
>> way that I did in my CL-SECURE-READ system,
>> but also if you actually want learn SWANK talk some non-s-exp-based
>> protocol.
>>
>> So, what do you think?
> I think SLIME is a tool for developing and debugging Lisp code and
> because of that security is not our priority.  E.g. I don't even have a
> ~/.slime-secret and I think that only few people bother to create one.
> Potentially improved security is not a sufficient argument for me.
>
> I'm also not a fan of making SLIME super flexible. Especially if that
> flexibility is not actually used and regularly tested.  Usually testing
> becomes more difficult with more flexibility.
Actually, I have a suggestion, how to make testing easier.
Now we have CL swank server and Emacs slime slient, which can talk to
this server.
What is missing, is CL client, which is able to talk to swank server.
If it were present, then one could immediately write bunch of unit tests
for all thinkable
situations.
> On the actual code: I don't think that we want to COMPILE our code at
> runtime. Using a hashtable instead of DESTRUCTURING-CASE might be
> reasonable, but it also has it's downsides, e.g. it needs a new global
> variable for the hashtable.
True enough, I've rewritten this bit as a macro - now no explicit call
to COMPILE is involved.
> There are also some situations, e.g. in the debugger, when some RPCs are
> processed selectively and others are queued.  Making those situations
> table driven is probably difficult and possibly even harder to
> understand than what we have now.
But how is this queing handled in DESTUCTURING-CASE approach?
It seems to me, that given rpc gets executed, whenever its form matches
a destructuring pattern, regardless of whether we are now in debugging
context or not.

On the other hand, in table-driven approach one could introduce another
table
of actually "active" rpcs, in parallel to the table of merely "defined"
ones.
This way, binding this active-table to some restricted set of commands
when in debugger-mode may produce desirable effect.

I think, that what you actually have as SLIME + SWANK is not merely a tool
for developing and debugging lisp code. It is a tool for developing and
debugging lisp code, built on top of a framework to define network
length-based
s-exp-based rpc-based protocols.
Strictily speaking, it is not yet so, but my patch seems to make it so.
And the fact,
that required fixes are so minimal, indicates that it is almost so.

In this new version of patch I've also added customizability of a writer
function
(which was PRIN1-TO-STRING-FOR-EMACS).
Thus, if one desires to roll his own protocol in CL, one can do the
following:
1) write a reader-function, which accepts strings, and returns s-exp-s
2) write a writer-function, which accepts s-exps and returns strings
3) define table of rpcs
and that's all, one gets a server which processes requests
asynchronously with the rest lisp core.