Quesstion about Alt-. navigation to function definitions

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 23:42:37 UTC 2013

If you *really* want to compile self-contained file that requires
something then uses it, The solution is to use (1) eval-when and (2)
funcall 'require, to not get optimized away by clisp.

  (funcall 'require :cl-ppcre)) ;; in this case, asdf:load-system is
cleaner than require.
(cl-ppcre:...)

That said, the above is OK for a one-off experiment, but not at all
recommended for libraries or even for sets of experiments.

For publishable libraries, I recommend to write a .asd file for your system.

For sets of experiments, I recommend you use the asdf-package-system
(itself inspired by quick-build, and soon to be released as part of
asdf 3.1.1), whereby you have a single .asd file for all your
experiments (say my-experiments.asd), and then you can
(asdf:load-system :my-experiments/foo/bar) and it will read
foo/bar.lisp under the directory of my-experiments.asd, deduce its
dependencies from the defpackage, and compile and load everything.
Adding a new system to the hierarchy is simply a matter of creating a
file with a defpackage, and only files needed are compiled and loaded.

(Sorry for a late reply, I am not actively following this mailing-list)

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is
generally employed only by small children and large nations." – David Friedman