[slime-devel] Hang with cmucl 20c

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Wed Oct 3 17:04:05 UTC 2012

I am running cmucl 20c (unicode version) under slime, with
coding-system set to utf-8-unix and quicklisp loaded.

All seems to work well, including loading various quicklisp packages,
until I try this:

CL-USER> (ql:quickload "ironclad")
To load "ironclad":
  Load 1 ASDF system:
    ironclad

and the slime-repl buffer hangs with the cursor at the last line above.

In the *inferior-lisp* buffer I find this:

;; swank:close-connection: No matching method for the generic function
#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE (1) {59232FA9}>,
when called with arguments (#<Stream for descriptor 5>).
Help! 12 nested errors.  KERNEL:*MAXIMUM-ERROR-DEPTH* exceeded.

There is nothing untoward in the *slime-events* buffer.

Any idea what could be the problem? I'll be happy to provide
backtraces, etc. if you can only tell me how to get them.

I supposed there is something odd about the stream for descriptor 5.
Perhaps someone who knows the internals well can tell me what stream
that is, and how it is different from other streams?

(Oh, loading ironclad in the *inferior-lisp* buffer works like a
charm, after I tweaked the source code a little so it could find
libcrypt. All this is on ubuntu, BTW, linux kernel 3.2.0-31-generic.)

- Harald