[slime-devel] Daily ChangeLog diff

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun May 13 16:58:12 UTC 2012

* Nikodemus Siivola [2012-05-13 08:39] writes:

> On 11 May 2012 21:09, Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>
>>> What's the logic behind this change?
>>
>> The purpose is to get rid of WITH-DEADLINE.
>
> This seems overly pedantic to me.
>
> You may not like the API,

Henceforth, I shall use all the APIs that I don't like, sir.

> but unlike WITH-WORLD-LOCK it is actually a
> supported API

As well "supported" as the wonderful and thread-safe method dispatching.
How long is the non-problem with the dispatch caches known?  Months or
years?  When, if ever, will it be fixed?  Ah I know: wishing for
thread-safe dispatch caches is overly pedantic.  Certainly it's more
honorable to defend WITH-DEADLINE than to fix dispatch caches.

> It's one of the three constructs that should almost
> never be used along with WITHOUT-GCING and WITH-TIMEOUT.

What should not be used: WITH-DEADLINE or WITH-WORLD-LOCK?  Obviously
WITH-WORLD-LOCK is one of the three bad guys.  Unless we can't count,
WITH-DEADLINE should be used gratuitously, or not.

> Unless it made the sources too ugly, I would not hesitate to rename it
> %%WITH-WORLD-LOCK-INTERNAL-DONT-USE-AND-AVOID-EVEN-INSIDE-SBCL...

Sir shouldn't hesitate so long to put out an SBCL version with those
damn dispatch caches fixed.

Helmut