[slime-devel] Bothersome *slime-description* buffer

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Thu Sep 8 17:24:03 UTC 2011

Hi list,

Recently the *slime-description* buffer started popping up every time a
condition is signalled in SLIME's REPL (although I can see nothing about this
in the ChangeLog file).

--- *slime-repl sbcl* ---
 ; SLIME 2011-07-03
 CL-USER> foo
 ; Evaluation aborted on #<UNBOUND-VARIABLE FOO {CE10179}>.
 CL-USER>
-------------------------

--- *slime-description* ---
The variable FOO is unbound.
---------------------------

Try as I might, I cannot get used to this behaviour as it completely messes
with my buffer/window configuration.

Furthermore, I've had the function:

 (defun sldb-print-condition ()
   (interactive)
   (unless sldb-condition
     (error "No condition known (wrong buffer?)"))
   (slime-write-string
   (format "%s\n%s\n"
           (first sldb-condition)
           (second sldb-condition))))

defined in my ~/.emacs since it was silently commented out in slime.el roughly
a couple of years ago.

It was activated by the following additional line in my ~/.emacs:

 (add-hook 'sldb-hook 'sldb-print-condition)

and it performed the task of automatically printing the SLDB condition in
SLIME's REPL after SLDB exits.  There's no error, but this no longer works,
i.e., the condition is no longer printed in the REPL.

How can I prevent the *slime-description* buffer forn poppping up all the time
and restore the functionality that I used to gain from adding
'sldb-print-condition to sldb-hook?

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.