[slime-devel] slime debugger string length cutoff, bad default and how to control it

Tobias C Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Tue Nov 29 07:55:15 UTC 2011

In article <m28vn0wv1e.fsf at common-lisp.net>,
 Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> * Mark H. David [2011-11-28 00:31] writes:
>
> > OK, how about a way to control the cutoff, or make the cutoff much higher?
> > I'm the Lisp debugger, it's not prettier with 75 characters, just
> > hiding my info.
>
> It is prettier when each local variable fits on a single line.  If we
> assume 80 chars per line and subtract some space for the variable name
> then no more than 75 are visible.  For the full information you can use
> the inspector or the d command.
>
> Helmut

These explicit commands work on a single datum at a time, though.
Sometimes you want to look at more items at the same time in more
detail. What about a key (e.g. +) to reprint the items with an
increased maximum length? You can press the key multiple times
for increasing the detail level as desired. The same key can
also apply to the inspector buffer.