[slime-devel] unceasing minibuffer error message after bad input

Chris Beard wcbeard10 at wabash.edu
Sat Mar 12 07:31:15 UTC 2011

Hello,
I just installed Slime on Mac OSX 10.6, via Quicklisp and sbcl
(following instructions here
http://www.mohiji.org/2011/01/modern-common-lisp-on-osx/).

My emacs has some annoying behavior whenever I do something
incorrectly in the SLIME REPL (I'm new at lisp, so this isn't too
un...common). For example, it operates fine doing (hello-world) after
I've compiled a hello-world defun, but if I try and run it after
restarting Slime, it gives me

  ; SLIME 2011-02-18
  CL-USER> (hello-world)

  ; in: LAMBDA NIL
  ;     (HELLO-WORLD)
  ;
  ; caught STYLE-WARNING:
  ;   undefined function: HELLO-WORLD
  ;
  ; compilation unit finished
  ;   Undefined function:
  ;     HELLO-WORLD
  ;   caught 1 STYLE-WARNING condition

I suspect this is normal.
But in the *Messages* buffer, I see things like this:

  error in process filter: define-key: Wrong type argument: characterp, nil
  error in process filter: Wrong type argument: characterp, nil
  error in process filter: define-key: Wrong type argument: characterp, nil
  error in process filter: Wrong type argument: characterp, nil
  Mark set
  Error in post-command-hook: (wrong-type-argument characterp nil)

And then it repeats this stuff every once in a while. But even after
quitting Slime, whenever I try to switch buffers, or kill buffers, or
basically anything, the minibuffer says "Error in post-command-hook:
(wrong-type-argument characterp nil)" for a few seconds, then gives me
the info I need in the minibuffer (such as the list of buffers to
ido-switch to; but it still only lets me input the name of the buffer
one letter at a time for some reason). It also won't let me quit Emacs
with C-x C-c, or even S-q (Apple-q). I'm not 100% this is from Slime,
but it seems that way. Any suggestions for fixing this? I'm otherwise
quite excited about learning Lisp.

-Chris

ps- Some additional info:
I also saw this warning in the *inferior lisp* buffer, shortly after
starting SLIME:

  WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
   (DISASSEMBLE-FRAME SLDB-BREAK-AT-START SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN)

Here's more that was in the *inferior-lisp* buffer.
http://pastebin.com/KzEej96S

Here is more of what was in the Messages buffer
http://pastebin.com/aJGYPVeq

And here are some possibly relevant lines from my emacs init files

  ;; http://www.cliki.net/SLIME%20Tips
  (add-hook 'slime-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (unless (slime-connected-p)
                (save-excursion (slime)))))

  (defun cliki:start-slime ()
    (unless (slime-connected-p)
      (save-excursion (slime))))

  (add-hook 'slime-mode-hook 'cliki:start-slime)

  (add-to-list 'load-path
"/Users/FingerMan/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-20110219-cvs")
  (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/sbcl")
  (require 'slime-autoloads)
  (slime-setup)

  (load (expand-file-name "~/quicklisp/slime-helper.el"))