[slime-devel] slime-setup defaults [was: slime-repl buffer never appears]

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:16:02 UTC 2011

> (require 'slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> in my init file, and inferior-lisp-program set to the binary, M-x slime
> doesn't quite work right.  The *inferior-lisp* buffer starts up, swank
> says it's starting (I see the compilation) but the repl buffer never
> appears.
>
> I do eventually get the "Connected." message, but I never see the repl
> buffer.
>
> What am I missing?

you, imo don't miss much.

the slime defaults, on the other hand, are missing a whole lot of
great features which are this way hidden from the newcomers, for the
minor convenience of one of the maintainers (afaik) who prefers not to
have those features enabled by default...

the problem here is the huge difference between the effort it takes to
configure slime by an experienced user and by a newcomer. there's a
mail with this question every few weeks (and consider the time wasted
by newcomers who resolve it using google, and the number of newcomers
who don't even miss the repl, because they don't even know about
it...)

this mail is a political argument for changing slime defaults (enable
at least the inspector, repl, fuzzy completion, presentations),
because i believe that such a change would make slime more useful. my
intention is to call for people's reason to support such a change,
instead of dealing with each mail separately on this topic.

--
 attila

Notice the erosion of your (digital) freedom, and do something about it!

PGP: 2FA1 A9DC 9C1E BA25 A59C  963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
OTR XMPP: 8647EEAC EA30FEEF E1B55146 573E52EE 21B1FF06
BitCoin: 154uf86Vd9rpjMULd9CXa7nVwikknYZJiB