[slime-devel] New to lisp and slime

Paul Bowyer pbowyer at olynet.com
Fri Apr 1 16:23:52 UTC 2011

On 03/30/2011 02:53 PM, Paul Bowyer wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 11:56 AM, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>> On 03/30/2011 12:37 PM, Paul Bowyer wrote:
>>> slime-devel:
>>>
>>> I'm just learning how to work with lisp and slime and I would like to
>>> know if I can ask questions on this list regarding the setup and
>>> operation of slime?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> pbowyer
>> Of course! Where else can you go for help? Nowhere I can think of.
>>
>> Welcome to the rarefied contingent of Lisp programmers! Makes my day.
>>
>> Carlos

> OK then:
>
> In my learning exercises, I have been using something like:
> (eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute)
>     (if (find-package "CH16")
>         (delete-package "CH16"))
>     )
> (defpackage "CH16"
>       (:use "COMMON-LISP" "UTIL")
>     (:shadow "LENGTH" "MEMBER" "COUNT")
>     (:export "LENGTH" "MEMBER" "BEFORE"
>               "NUMBER-LISTP" "SAME-LENGTH1"
>               "SAME-LENGTH2" "COUNT")
>     )
>
> (in-package "CH16")
>
> ;;;more code containing functions follows ...
> at the beginning of my lisp source files to try to handle problems I was
> having with error messages when I tried to compile or compile/load my
> source. It took me a while to discern how to get this far, but now with
> the code above (after the initial compile/load) I need to compile twice
> or compile then compile/load because the first compile produces error
> messages similar to the following.
> Unable to display error condition: *PACKAGE* can't be a deleted package:
>     *PACKAGE* has been reset to #<PACKAGE "COMMON-LISP-USER">.
>      [Condition of type SIMPLE-TYPE-ERROR]
> If I abort to slime's top level and then immediately compile or
> compile/load, it works correctly until the next time I try to compile
> when I have to repeat the process. Is there a way to avoid having to
> repeat the compile process twice? I've tried various gyrations of the
> above code without success.
>
> Before I discerned that I needed to compile twice before getting a
> successful compilation, after aborting to slime's top level I tried
> (find-package "CH16") in the REPL and got NIL. After the second
> compilation, the 'find-package' command succeeded with #<PACKAGE "CH16">.
>
> I'm using:
> sbcl-1.0.29
> emacs-23.1.1
> slime version uncertain, but downloaded recently
> All running under PCLinuxOS-2010 using KDE-4.6.1
>
> Thanks for any light you can shed on this,
>
> pbowyer

Carlos:

I have a little more information on the problem. It only occurs when I
use the 'Compile' or 'Compile/Load' from the 'Slime' menu. If I do
(compile-file "pathname.lisp") and (load "pathname.fasl") from the REPL
(within Slime or directly from within SBCL), the problem does not occur.
Either I have something set up incorrectly in my '.emacs' file or  there
is a problem with Slime. I'll attach my '.emacs. file (renamed to emacs)
for your inspection, but please remember that I'm very much a newbie
concerning all of this.

pbowyer