[slime-devel] Slime presentation marker bug (updated patch attached)

Nathan Bird nathan at acceleration.net
Thu Sep 30 14:44:51 UTC 2010

  On 9/29/2010 4:37 PM, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
>> * slime-stream-p can be dynamically overridden with *slime-stream-p*;
>> useful when writing to a mem buffer or some other location that will be
>> dumped to a slime stream but is natively detectable as such.
> I'm not sure about the last change. I don't think it can work in a
> non-dedicated stream setup because the presentation boundaries are
> signalled out-of-band.

Yeah, that use case I gave only works for dedicated output streams, but
it at least doesn't get in the way for non-dedicated. The use case I
have (a stream logger who's printed objects are automatically
presentations where appropriate) is precisely as above though: I want to
print to a memory buffer and then dump that to the dedicated stream.
When running a bunch of threads this still isn't threadsafe behavior by
any means but it reduces the critical section to just (write-sequence
<short-message> stream).

I expanded the docstring to make it clearer[1]. I'll poke around a bit
more to see if I can come up with a better idea but this works pretty
well for me.

Thanks for the feedback!

[1]
http://github.com/UnwashedMeme/slime/commit/f381c3341ccd059191a309c628aaa2f436b03ec6
Do y'all use the nablaone/slime github cvs mirror? are flat patchfiles
(updated patch attached) still preferred?

--
Nathan Bird
nathan at acceleration.net
http://www.acceleration.net/
Custom Programming, Design, Hosting, and Broadband.