[slime-devel] contrib for repl images

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Wed Sep 15 19:29:39 UTC 2010

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Christophe Rhodes [2010-09-13 21:14] writes:
>
>> I'd like to put this or something like it in; I'm asking for review of
>> this approach and implementation.
>
> Emacs side looks good.  Lisp side is empty, so I suspect you want to
> have this in CVS primarily because something breaks as soon you load the
> R stuff.  If that's the case then please add a comment somewhere that
> it's needed for something else.

Thanks.  It's not so much that anything breaks unless the slime-media
contrib is requested; it's more for my own convenience, so that I don't
go mad simultaneously doing CL, elisp and R development, with different
contribs useful in CL and R.  The alternative would be not to have the
stub CL file at all and not to have the :swank-dependencies swank-media
clause -- but I think that essentially any use of this contrib will
require some swank adaptation to actually emit the :write-image event.

I'll add a comment making this clear in the .lisp file (including the
implementation strategy for making this useful in the R side, in case
anyone is motivated to emit images from any other swank backends).

Thanks,

Christophe