[slime-devel] [investigation] Font lock, reader macros and SLIME repl

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Thu Sep 9 12:07:20 UTC 2010

Terje Norderhaug <terje at in-progress.com> writes:

> On Sep 4, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Tobias C Rittweiler wrote:
>> You mean for every time I press C-M-f? Is that how your editor
>> thingie works?
>
> I am particularly concerned about lisp developers consistently being
> able to evaluate the current expression also when it contains reader
> macros and custom syntax (including other lisp dialects).

For what it's worth, I would very much like this too.  For example, I
the logic to find the operator appropriate to a given position is fine
for lisps with standard syntax, but not so good for (for example) R --
which means that the logic for looking up arglists gets the wrong
answer.  There's of course a tasteful balance to be struck between
hard-coding (which is fine for most normal situations, in any case) and
excessive querying of the arbitrarily remote "lisp"...

Cheers,

Christophe