[slime-devel] (slime-compilation-finished) doesnt help solving stated goal.

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Oct 22 06:44:56 UTC 2010

* Madhu [2010-10-22 04:08] writes:

> * 2010-09-03  Helmut Eller  <heller at common-lisp.net>
> |	For C-c C-k, ask before loading possibly broken fasl files.
> |
> |	* slime.el (slime-compilation-result): Add 2 slots: loadp and
> |	faslfile.
> |	(slime-compilation-finished): Use them to load the faslfile.
> |	* swank.lisp (:compilation-result): Add 2 slots. Use keyword
> |	constructor.
>
> when (slime-compile-and-load-file) notices harmless Warnings during
> compilation, it prompts with
>   (y-or-n-p "Compilation failed.  Load fasl file anyway? ")
>
> There is no way for the user to scroll the *slime-compilation* window to
> see if the warnings are harmless or not, before he can answer `y'
>
> I would suggest giving the user an option like like in the appended
> patch,

Adding this option doesn't give the user any more chance to see the
warnings than pressing y.  And if you want to force loading you can also
add a slime-compilation-finished-hook that toggles the successp flag in
slime-last-compilation-result.

> but I suspect Helmut would reject it as it would complicate
> slime,

Yes, right.

> and would find it simpler to add a new keymap for this situation,
> with new functions to scroll the buffer and also remap [next-line] and
> [previous-line] to the new functions so any user level override without
> modifying slime.el is impossible.

Perhaps not quit that, but it seems that changing y-or-n-p to
yes-or-no-p would solve the problem more elegantly than introducing a
customization variable.

> [BTW on an unrelated note, C-h k C-c C-k in slime buffers in (Emacs git
> 2010-10-03) says: C-c C-c is undefined.  The binding works but doesn't
> show up in C-h b either.

Works for me.

> I'm afraid the baroquely over-engineered
> keybinding mechanisms makes it impossible to debug where the problem is.]

Your attitude doesn't help to solve the problem either.

Helmut