[slime-devel] Patch to allow local network address family

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Oct 19 15:48:40 UTC 2010

* Gilaras Drakeson [2010-10-19 14:59] writes:

> Hi,
>
> Below is a patch to allow local network address family (aka AF_UNIX, UNIX
> domain sockets).  Note that `open-network-stream' just calls
> `make-network-process'.

XEmacs doesn't support Unix sockets (and neither server sockets).

[...]
> AF_UNIX is beneficial in the sense that it can speedup communication
> between emacs and the lisp process, and can avoid the need for
> authentication (presence of ~/.slime-secret).
>
> What do you think?

In theory yes, but a) we also need to change the Lisp side (for N
different Lisps) b) the speed difference is likely negligible as the
Unix kernel should be able to recognize and optimize local TCP
connections c) doesn't work on Windows d) one more thing that can be
misconfigured.  So, I think it's not worth the trouble.

Helmut