[slime-devel] SLIME development newbie questions

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Oct 1 18:17:39 UTC 2010

* Tamas K Papp [2010-10-01 15:37] writes:

> 1. Is there a SLIME-like IDE for Emacs Lisp?  If not, what's the
> closest?  I know that Emacs itself provides some functionality, but it
> does not look nearly as comfy as SLIME for CL.  Eg I couldn't figure
> out the equivalent of M-. and similar.

Attached is a chunk from my .emacs with similar bindings as SLIME.
Turn on eldoc if you like it.

> 2. Is there a document describing the architecture of SLIME?

http://common-lisp.net/~trittweiler/talks/slime-talk-2008.pdf
might be useful.  The big comments preceded by ;;;
in slime.el and swank.lisp should give you the basic idea.

> 3. How should I start?  What's the best way to start poking around in
> SLIME?

Write a simple command that uses slime-eval-async and defslimefun,
e.g. ask for two numbers, add them on the Lisp side and insert the
result in the current buffer.

If you evaluate (break) you can see the backtrace which should give you
a live view on what's going on the Lisp side.  For best effect put
(setq swank:*communication-style* nil) in ~/.swank.lisp.

Similarly on the Emacs side: insert (debug) in the source of some
interesting command and invoke it.  In the *slime-events* you can see a
log of the sent/received messages.

Helmut