[slime-devel] Can't load sbcl...

Olwe Melwasul hercynianforest at gmail.com
Sun May 23 15:19:05 UTC 2010

First post here. I'm a newbie to all things lisp. Hopefully this is the
place to ask...

So I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and I've successfully installed Clisp and SBCL. Clisp
was apt-getted; SBCL was installed from latest Linuxx86 "binaries." Both
work in terminals. Clisp actually works with Slime, but SBCL not. This is
what Slime starting with SBCL gives:

-------------------
SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
*

debugger invoked on a SB-C::INPUT-ERROR-IN-COMPILE-FILE in thread #<THREAD
                                                                    "initial
thread" RUNNING

 {A9F28C9}>:
  READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
    SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 5151 (line 128, column 45) on
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM

 for "file /usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp"

 {A9FC3D1}>:
      package "CLC" not found

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-C::READ-FOR-COMPILE-FILE
 #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM
   for "file /usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp"
{A9FC3D1}>
 4663)
0]

Alas, the limbo between hand-installed and apt-get wizardry therein I am no
doubt lost. Actually, my Emacs (23.1.1), my Slime (1:20090908-1 according to
Synaptic) and Clisp were all apt-got. Can this be sorted out? Or must I
blitz my hard drive, install NetBSD, Stump, and everything Lisp from source?

Olwe