[slime-devel] Slime vs Franz Eli

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed May 19 07:00:56 UTC 2010

* Chris Kim [2010-05-19 08:15+0200] writes:

> Hi, all,
>
> I've been using Slime on top of Franz ACL for quite a while.
> My experience with Slime is very positive and I like Slime better in every
> aspects except in following situations.
>
>     1. Slime debugger: It prints bunch of Slime (swank: ..... ) related
> messages that I'm not interested.
> It's always hard to trying to comb through messages that I'm interested. How
> can I turn Slime related messages off?

Slime frames are either at the top end or the bottom end of the stack.
Those on the bottom shouldn't be a problem.  To hide the frames on the
top Slime needs to guess in which frame the error occurred and that's not
always perfect (ie. it shows too many frames).  Have a look at the
function FIND-TOPFRAME in swank-allegro.lisp.  That's where the decision
is made.  Improvements welcome.

>    2. While debugging, evaulating expression does not print anything but only
> the retuned result.  Can I have it print to the standard output, i.e.,
> console?

The debugger doesn't change *standard-output*.  The output is probably
in the *inferior-lisp* buffer or the *slime-repl* buffer or you forgot
to call FORCE-OUTPUT.  If you connect to a remote server (or similar)
then the output will be written to whatever *standard-output* is
connected.  You may be interested in the slime-redirect-inferior-output
command which redirects the output which would normally go
to *inferior-lisp* to the *slime-repl* buffer.

>    3. Lack of REPL command: Franz Eli supports REPL commands, for
> example, ":proc"  for listing processes, ":pa" to change package and so on.
> Is there way to add them in?

It's a bit different in Slime: if you type ",in" you can change the
package.  There a few more of those "shortcuts" and you can add your own
with defslime-repl-shortcut.

Helmut