[slime-devel] Restartable frames

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Mon Mar 22 22:40:38 UTC 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Terje Norderhaug [2010-03-22 22:52+0100] writes:
>
>> If so, frame-restartable-p should return NIL only when the frame
>> definitely cannot be restarted and T when the frame possibly can be
>> restarted. This makes the current default frame-restartable-p, which
>> always returns NIL, unusable as default for back-ends that have a
>> working restart-frame.
>>
>> Either back-ends that implement restart-frame also need to implement
>> frame-restartable-p, or the default frame-restartable-p should return
>> T for back-ends that provide a restart-frame function.
>>
>> With this in place, the backtrace slimefun will more consistently
>> inform the client whether a frame potentially can be restarted or
>> definitely can't be restarted.
>
> Whatever frame-restartable-p returns it doesn't stop the client from
> calling restart-frame.

No, but a proper value for frame-restartable-p will allow swank
clients to consistently inform users about whether a backtrace frame
might be restartable or definitely isn't. That's a usability
improvement.

BTW, now we're on the topic, let me throw this idea in from a
previous related discussion:

On Sat Jul 18 04:37:10 EDT 2009, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
>>> I think FRAME-RESTARTABLE-P should become a FRAME-ATTRIBUTES
>>> function with :RESTARTABLE, and :NON-RESTARTABLE being the
>>> currently specified values.

-- Terje Norderhaug
   terje at in-progress.com