[slime-devel] (:end-of-stream) clause in dispatch-event

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Fri Mar 19 15:47:08 UTC 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Terje Norderhaug <terje at in-progress.com> writes:
>> On Mar 18, 2010, at 2:06 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
>>>
>>> Grepping for :end-of-stream only reveals that use in dispatch-event.
>>>
>>> Same for %apply.
>>>
>>> Any problem with getting rid of those?
>>

>> Isn't :end-of-stream intended for gracefully closing a connection
>> from the client?
>>
>> -- Terje Norderhaug
>>    terje at in-progress.com
>
> Presumably you make use of that in the CL swank client you're
> maintaining. Could you add that one, and maintain it, in Slime's
> vanilla CVS?

The MCLIDE swank client does implement :end-of-stream but only
because it was assumed to be in accordance with the protocol. I don't
mind eliminating it.

I have verified that neither swank for clojure nor swank for gambit
implements :end-of-stream.

With multiple swank clients and servers, it would be useful if we
settle how clients are supposed to end a session:

After the elimination of :end-of-stream, the de-facto protocol is
that a client should end a session by closing the connection. A swank
server should consider a closed connection in between messages to be
the end of a session, and do the required cleanup without reporting
it as an error.

-- Terje Norderhaug
   terje at in-progress.com