[slime-devel] Definition Void: slime-create-filename-translator

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Jul 1 06:57:07 UTC 2010

* Jeremiah Via [2010-07-01 06:20] writes:

> I'm new to Emacs/Lisp and I'm trying to get remote editing working. I
> have swank running in Allegro Common Lisp 8.0 and REPL appears to work
> as expected. The problem lies in the filename translation when I try
> to compile a file.
>
> When I start up emacs I get this message: "Symbol's function
> definition is void: slime-create-filename-translator."
>
> This is the relevant part of my .emacs:
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp"
>      lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function
>      slime-complete-symbol-function 'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol
>      slime-startup-animation t)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/slime")
> (require 'slime-autoloads)
> (slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-banner slime-tramp
> slime-presentations slime-asdf))
>
> (push (slime-create-filename-translator :machine-instance "#xbc930fc3"
>                                                        :remote
> "tinky-winky.cs.bham.ac.uk"
>                                                        :username "jxv911")
>    slime-filename-translations)

If you do it this way loading of slime-tramp (and hence
slime-create-filename-translator) is delayed until you start slime the
frist time.  Try something like:

(defun my-slime-load-hook ()
  (push (slime-create-filename-translator ...) slime-filename-translations))

(add-hook 'slime-load-hook 'my-slime-load-hook t)

Note the APPEND argument to add-hook; slime-setup also uses
slime-load-hook to load slime-tramp so it's important that your hook is
run after that.

Helmut