[slime-devel] swank-rpc module

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Jan 16 09:41:54 UTC 2010

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> * Terje Norderhaug [2010-01-16 03:43+0100] writes:
>
>> I think it is time that we factorize out swank's low level rpc layer
>> into a new swank-rpc module that deals with how events are encoded
>> and passed between the client and server.
>>
>> I have enclosed a draft of a new swank-rpc module for the
>> project. Almost all of the code is extracted directly from the
>> swank.lisp file  of the slime-2010-01-15 distribution. It can be
>> included with no  disruption to SLIME.
>>
>> The module act as a specification of the event passing protocol,
>> facilitating alternative swank implementations such as on clojure and
>> scheme. It can optionally validate the input to ensure that the
>> events are consistent with the protocol.
>
> I don't see the point of this exercise.  Obviously people have written
> servers and clients whitout our help, i.e. it's not terribly hard to
> figure out how Slime works.  I bet that decoding the wire syntax was one
> of the easier parts.

I'll kind of hijack this thread now. Sorry about this.

In the thread about generalizing buffer context (which I haven't come
around doing yet, but I still intend to), you said that it'd cleaner for
a general rpc server to get rid of the implicit buffer context.

I agree with that, but I didn't see the point of how SWANK is, or is
supposed to be, a general rpc server.

If it's supposed to be, I share sentiment with extracting that bit
(won't come as surprise to you :-)) -- if it's not supposed to be, then
why can't we have generalized, but still implicit, buffer context
passing?

  -T.